About the course: In this course, poet, editor and literary/Jungian scholar Dr. Roula-Maria Dib will guide you through poetry writing as a form of conversation with another medium of art, specifically the visual. This dialogue with images not only offers moments of transcendence and beauty, but it opens inner channels of understanding ourselves and the world, creating new modes of knowledge. Part theory, part application and workshopping, this course will lead you through a journey in which you will explore how the way and angle from which we contemplate and engage with images affects our writing about them.
The following themes will be covered:
Session 1: Ekphrasis (Nov 30, 2023 at 18:00-20:00 UK)
Session 2: Pareidolia (Dec 04, 2023 at 18:00-20:00 UK)
Session 3: Active imagination (Dec 07, 2023 at 18:00-20:00 UK)
Session 4: Dream images (Dec 11, 2023 at 18:00-20:00 UK)
Session 5: Tarot cards (Dec 14, 2023 at 18:00-20:00 UK)
We will also be looking at imagistic, ekphrastic, and dream poems that examine and articulate the special connections the psyche makes with images.
“Working with Images” will walk you through this poetic inquiry via a series of writing exercises to help you generate your own poems that speak with different types of images such as paintings, photos, dream images, masks, and even amorphous ink blotches, coffee stains, and clouds!
What you will get:
- A certificate of completion from the LABRC
- An opportunity to publish your work in literary magazines (including Indelible) and to participate at one of Indelible’s online or in-person poetry reading events
- A wealth of knowledge and new skills from sources, discussions, and practice, which you may develop into a conference paper, integrate into your research (eg: thesis), or publish as an article/book chapter.
- Become part of a new writing community by meeting fellow poets from different levels of poetry writing skills. In other words, like-minded friends who may collaborate with you in future research/writing projects.
- Hone your poetry writing skill by receiving support and inspiration for exploring and developing your craft.
- Voucher for one free access to a paid Indelible event
Who is it for?
This course is for anyone who:
- Would like to learn more about the relationship between poetry, psyche, and image
- Has an interest in the dialogue between the mediums of poetry and visual art
- Who is curious to see what and how we can learn from the practice of writing poetry by working with images
- Who would like to attempt, practice, or refine their existing image-inspired poetry writing skills
- Who likes to be part of an awesome writing community and meet other like-minded poets
Cost: 100 GBP (entire course)
30 GBP (for one session)